Christopher Jakubiak, AICP
As president of Jakubiak Town + City Planning, Chris consults with municipalities seeking expertise in community planning and zoning. He has skills ranging from conducting comprehensive planning, zoning, land use analyses, and working with cities to translate findings and concepts into workable strategies and regulations for development. Chris has been retained as an expert in multiple land use and zoning cases before boards of zoning appeals and hearing examiners. He has also provided zoning administration services to Maryland towns for a decade.
Chris devotes time to his clients and his own community though other planning related service. He has taught courses to citizen planning commissioners and real estate professionals through the University of Maryland Urban Studies and Planning Program. He has also served on the faculty at Catholic University where he has taught graduate urban planning and design.
In the public sector, Chris has served as Vice Chairman of the City of Annapolis Board of Zoning Appeals.
Before founding Jakubiak Town + City Planning, Chris worked as Principal Planner in the Department of Planning and Zoning in Calvert County where he prepared town center master plans (including design standards) and applied those plans in the review of development plans and in the management of citizen-appointed architectural review committees. He also managed the staff of the board of zoning appeals and conducted traffic and land use projects.
He holds a graduate degree in urban and regional planning, a certification from Harvard University in Advanced Public Sector Negotiation (including consensus building, multi-party agreements, and group dynamics) and is member of the American Institute of Certified Planners and the Urban Land Institute.
In his local community, Chris serves as an Executive Board Member of the Greater Towson Committee, an association of real estate professionals dedicated to improving the core of Towson, where he and his family live.
- American Institute of Certified Planners
- Masters Degree in Urban and Regional Planning, University of Illinois. Practicum: Comprehensive Neighborhood
- Revitalization Plan, East St. Louis
- Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, University of Maryland, Baltimore County
- Executive Certificate Program in Advanced Public Sector Negotiation, Harvard University
- 2000 – present President and Principal, Jakubiak Town + City Planning
- 1996 – 2000 Principal Planner, Calvert County Department of Planning and Zoning
- 1992 – 1996 Principal Planner, Southeastern Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission
- 1990 – 1992 Urban Planning Instructor/Teaching/Research Assistant, University of Illinois
- American Institute of Certified Planners, AICP, American Planning Association
- Urban Land Institute
- American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association
Recent Speaking Engagements
- Sustainable Urban Planning: Oresund Region, Scandinavia, Secrets of Scandinavian City Planning, Bethesda Green, Washington DC, 2013
- “Protecting The Municipal Tax Base Through Good Planning” MD Municipal League Fall Conf., 2009
- “Negotiating Design Concepts for New Development”, Maryland Municipal League Conf., 2004.
- “Toward a Walkable Downtown, Rebuilding La Plata”, International Making Cities Livable Conference, Carmel, California, 2003